At the beginning of 2013, I met someone who had adopted her dog from a rescue. I didn’t really have any previous knowledge of rescues and, luckily for me, when I googled it, Pawsitive Match came up. Loving dogs and wanting to help, I signed up as a volunteer at the Cambrian shelter, and the rest, as they say, is history. I now volunteer at our newer and much bigger shelter, Almost Home, and am a Transport Coordinator as well, arranging rides for our animals to and from vet appointments and foster homes. There are also many other ways to contribute, but the bottom line is, I am the one rewarded, in so many ways, working for this organization that gives a second chance to animals. Among those rewards was foster failing and becoming the ‘furever’ home for a confused, scared eight-year-old who was surrendered, and who now considers it his job to hop on my lap daily and make sure I know what it’s like to experience a cuddly dog. Then there are the shifts at Almost Home. Many of the dogs and cats we take in have never experienced care and love from humans and this is a place where all the volunteers work with one sole purpose – to make sure they do. Seeing how the dogs respond to the simplest things like food, a walk, and spending time with people who genuinely care for them is perhaps the greatest reward of all. Finally, there is reading the regular “Happy Tails” that are posted on our website – the updates on our dogs and cats, many of whom I met at the shelter, who are now with their new adoptive families. This last chapter of the rescue story never fails to make my day!
Volunteer for PMRF
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew
Volunteer of the Month - Merrilee D
Pawsitive Match is 100% volunteer based and therefore we rely on our volunteers to operate. We greatly appreciate any and all of the help we receive.
You can help by volunteering your time and energy with us by fostering a dog, fundraising, advertising, training, grooming, transporting, helping out the adoption and foster committees, or whatever else your talent may be. We always need the help of people who can help bake, sew and build.
We can always use help from WestJet employees to transport dogs from Los Angeles and various other locations. We would also be grateful for any buddy passes donated. If you are able to help, please send us an email.
We are always looking for flight escorts flying with Westjet, Air Transat or Alaska Airlines to help dogs get to (or across) Canada to begin their new lives. By escorting a dog, you're not only saving that precious life, but the one who can be saved because of the freed up space at the shelter! Visit our Flight Escort page for more info.
Apply to Volunteer
For more information on the positions currently available or general volunteering questions, please contact the Volunteer Team at email@example.com. If you've made the decision to volunteer with us, great! Please fill out and submit the application below.
Listed below are the main groups within Pawsitive Match. Volunteers are always needed to care for the dogs at our temporary holding facility (Cambrian), foster, transport or help out at events. You do not necessarily need to commit to fulfill a full position and all of the duties required, and there may be more than one person assigned to each position.
- Adoption Committee
- review of adoption applications
- communication with potential applicants
- coordinating meet & greets
- reference checks
- home visits
- Foster Committee
- review of foster applications
- communication with potential foster homes
- home visits
- follow ups
- Medical Committee
- medical requisitions for vet visits
- pet insurance administration
- keep track of incoming medical records
- ensure dogs receive required medical attention
- Shelter Committee
- help care for dogs currently being housed at the Almost Home shelter (NE Calgary off 32nd Ave)
- walk, feed, water & play with dogs
- daily shifts available are: 8am, 12pm (noon), 7pm
- Cat Cuddlers
- cuddle our adorable cats who are up for adoption at Petsmart in South Trail crossing
- Volunteer Committee
- communicate with all new volunteer applications
- maintain volunteer spreadsheet (input volunteer info etc..)
- communicate with volunteers when various committees request a certain need
- Supplies/Donations Committee
- work with Supplies & Donations Coordinator to keep track of supplies in foster homes
- possibly store some supplies
- help with pick up or drop off of supplies
- request donations when needed
- Transport Committee
- vet trips if foster cannot take a dog
- donation pick ups
- transport dogs to events
- airport runs
- transport dogs & supplies to/from Edmonton
- Marketing Committee
- online advertising of events, dogs available for adoption
- creating and distributing posters
- event help (set up, organize, marketing)
- Overnight and Emergency Fosters (short term only)
- provide temporary care of dogs/puppies upon arrival into our rescue