Volunteer for PMRF
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew
Volunteer of the Month - Róisín K
I started fostering with Pawsitive Match in May 2016. My dog had passed away in January and I travelled too much for work to get another, even though I really missed having that special furry friend in my life. Because of my work schedule I can only ever temporarily foster, and so I fill in when another foster goes on vacation, or if one of the animals is ready for adoption and just needs to get out of the holding facility for a couple of weeks. A lot of people ask how I can possibly say goodbye to them, and I admit it’s hard to say goodbye, but it’s worth it knowing I had a small part in saving their life and finding them their happily ever after. Most of the dogs come from high-kill shelters where they euthanize for space, and without foster homes to take them in, they wouldn’t have a chance. Plus, there’s nothing quite like watching a scared little dog come out of their shell within a few days of enjoying a loving home!
I found myself taking on more and more volunteering as the months went by. I really enjoyed what I was doing, and there are so many great volunteers that dedicate so much time and energy to this rescue that I wanted to be a part of it! Right now, I am coordinating fundraising, writing the monthly newsletter, doing adoption updates, and helping with social media. It has really expanded my knowledge of what all goes into running a rescue, and of course I’ve learned tons about dogs (and cats) as well!
Pawsitive Match is 100% volunteer based and therefore we rely on our volunteers to operate. We greatly appreciate any and all of the help we receive.
You can help by volunteering your time and energy with us by fostering a dog, fundraising, advertising, training, grooming, transporting, helping out the adoption and foster committees, or whatever else your talent may be. We always need the help of people who can help bake, sew and build.
We can always use help from WestJet employees to transport dogs from Los Angeles and various other locations. We would also be grateful for any buddy passes donated. If you are able to help, please send us an email.
We are always looking for flight escorts flying with Westjet, Air Transat or Alaska Airlines to help dogs get to (or across) Canada to begin their new lives. By escorting a dog, you're not only saving that precious life, but the one who can be saved because of the freed up space at the shelter! Visit our Flight Escort page for more info.
Apply to Volunteer
For more information on the positions currently available or general volunteering questions, please contact the Volunteer Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you've made the decision to volunteer with us, great! Please fill out and submit the application below.
Listed below are the main groups within Pawsitive Match. Volunteers are always needed to care for the dogs at our temporary holding facility (Cambrian), foster, transport or help out at events. You do not necessarily need to commit to fulfill a full position and all of the duties required, and there may be more than one person assigned to each position.
- Adoption Committee
- review of adoption applications
- communication with potential applicants
- coordinating meet & greets
- reference checks
- home visits
- Foster Committee
- review of foster applications
- communication with potential foster homes
- home visits
- follow ups
- Medical Committee
- medical requisitions for vet visits
- pet insurance administration
- keep track of incoming medical records
- ensure dogs receive required medical attention
- Shelter Committee
- help care for dogs & cats currently being housed at the Almost Home shelter (NE Calgary off 32nd Ave)
- care for cats in the cat room
- walk, feed, water & play with dogs
- daily shifts available are: 8am, 12pm (noon), 7pm
- our greatest need is for am and noon weekday shift
- Volunteer Committee
- communicate with all new volunteer applications
- maintain volunteer spreadsheet (input volunteer info etc..)
- communicate with volunteers when various committees request a certain need
- Supplies/Donations Committee
- work with Supplies & Donations Coordinator to keep track of supplies in foster homes
- possibly store some supplies
- help with pick up or drop off of supplies
- request donations when needed
- Transport Committee
- vet trips if foster cannot take a dog
- donation pick ups
- transport dogs to events
- airport runs
- transport dogs & supplies to/from Edmonton
- Marketing Committee
- online advertising of events, dogs available for adoption
- creating and distributing posters
- event help (set up, organize, marketing)
- Overnight and Emergency Fosters (short term only)
- provide temporary care of dogs/puppies upon arrival into our rescue